Ralph Shearer Northam (born September 13, 1959) is an American politician and physician serving as the 73rd Governor of Virginia since January 13, 2018. A pediatric neurologist by occupation, he was an officer in the U.S. Army Medical Corps from 1984 to 1992. Northam, a member of the Democratic Party, served as the 40th Lieutenant Governor of Virginia from 2014 to 2018 prior to winning the governorship against Republican nominee Ed Gillespie in the 2017 election.
Ralph Northam Age, Height & Weight
- As of 2020, Ralph Northam age is 60 years old.
- He stands on a height of 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- He weighs around 70 Kg.
- His eye color is dark brown and has blonde hair.
- He wears a shoe size of 9 UK.
Ralph Northam Wife
- As of 2020, Ralph Northam is married with Pam Northam, since 1987.
- Currently, he resides in Northam lives in the Executive Mansion in Richmond.
- He and his wife Pam have blessed with two adult children, Wes and Aubrey.
Ralph Northam Salary & Net Worth
- As of 2020, Ralph Northam salary is estimated around $175,000.
- His net worth is estimated around $200 million USD.
- His primary source of income is his political career.
- As governor, Northam has proposed a state budget that would direct $22 million towards closing the racial disparity in Virginia’s maternal mortality rate.
- The plan developed by Northam would aim to eliminate the disparity by 2025.
Ralph Northam Quick Facts
|Real Name||Ralph Shearer Northam|
|Born||September 13, 1959|
|Age||60 years old (As of 2020)|
|Known For||73rd Governor of Virginia|
|Birthplace||Nassawadox, Virginia, U.S.|
|Height/ Tall||In feet - 5'9"|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Parents||Father: Not Known
Mother: Not Known
|Spouse/ Wife||Pam Northam (m. 1987)|
|Education||1.Virginia Military Institute (BS)
2. Eastern Virginia Medical School (MD)
|Net Worth||Approx $200 million USD (As of 2020)|
|Social Media Links||Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
Ralph Northam Early Life & Education
- Northam was born in the town of Nassawadox on Virginia’s Eastern Shore on September 13, 1959.
- He and his older brother of two years, Thomas, were raised on a water-side farm, just outside Onancock, Virginia.
- The family grew a variety of crops and tended livestock on their seventy-five-acre (30 ha) property.
- As a teenager, Northam worked on a ferry to Tangier Island and as a deckhand on fishing charters.
- He also worked on a neighbor’s farm and as a “stock boy” at Meatland grocery store.
- As per his education, he and Thomas attended desegregated public schools.
- Northam graduated from Onancock High School, where his class was predominately African American.
Ralph Northam Career
- Northam voted for Republican George W. Bush in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections, a fact that opponents raised in later Democratic primaries.
- Northam says that he was apolitical at the time and regretted those votes, saying: “Politically, there was no question, I was under informed.
- The Washington Post described Northam as a moderate state senator who moved to the left on some issues during the 2017 gubernatorial Democratic primary, such as support for a $15 minimum wage and opposition to a state constitutional amendment enshrining right-to-work legislation.
- Ralph Northam opposes the death penalty.
Facts about Ralph Northam
- He has supported LGBT rights throughout his political career.
- He favors decriminalizing marijuana.
- He belongs to a predominately black Baptist church in Capeville, Virginia.
- He accepts the scientific consensus on climate change and as a candidate for governor vowed to lead efforts to fight climate change.
- During Northam’s first year as governor, he vetoed a bill passed by the Republican-controlled legislature that would have banned localized minimum wages for government contractors.