Kay Ellen Ivey (born October 15, 1944) is an American politician serving as the 54th governor of Alabama since 2017. A member of the Republican Party, she was the 38th Alabama State Treasurer from 2003 to 2011 and the 30th lieutenant governor of Alabama from 2011 to 2017. She is the second female governor and first female Republican governor upon the resignation of her predecessor, Robert J. Bentley. She won a full term in the 2018 gubernatorial election by a wide margin against challenger Walt Maddox.
Kay Ivey Age, Height, Weight & Body Measurements
- As of 2020, Kay Ivey age is 75 years old.
- She stands on a height of 5 feet 6 inches tall.
- She weighs around 60 Kg.
- Her eye color is hazel and the hair color is greyish.
- She wears a shoe size of 6 UK.
Kay Ivey Quick Facts
|Real Name||Kay Ellen Ivey|
|Born||October 15, 1944|
|Age||75 years old (As of 2020)|
|Known For||Republican (2002–present)|
|Birthplace||Camden, Alabama, U.S|
|Height/ Tall||In feet - 5'6"|
|Parents||Father: Boadman Nettles Ivey
Mother: Barbara Elizabeth (Nettles) Ivey
|Education||Auburn University (BA)|
|Net Worth||Approx $119,950 USD (As of 2020)|
|Social Media Links||Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
|Political party||Republican (2002–present)|
Kay Ivey Spouse
- Ivey has been married and divorced twice, and has no children.
- Her first marriage was to Ben LaRavia.
- They became engaged while studying at Auburn University.
- In 2019, Ivey was diagnosed with lung cancer.
- She received an outpatient treatment at the University of Alabama at Birmingham on September 20, 2019. She said, “I am confident of God’s plan and purpose for my life.”
- In Jan 2020, Ivey was declared cancer-free.
- The cancer was Stage I and responded well to radiation treatment.
Kay Ivey Early Life & Education
- Ivey was born on October 15, 1944, in Camden, Alabama.
- Her father name is Boadman Nettles Ivey and mother named, Barbara Elizabeth (Nettles) Ivey.
- Her father was an army major in World War II, who later worked with the Gees Bend community as part of a federal program, the Farmers Home Administration.
- She loves her family a lot and also captioned on her instagram, “As an only child, I cherish the strong relationship I had with my parents, Boadman and Barbara Nettles Ivey. They taught me about the joys and hardships of life and most importantly taught me how to be a high-achiever. I was blessed with two God-fearing, loving parents, and there’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about them. Today, I honor their memory by encouraging you to unplug and spend quality time with your loved ones on”.
- As per her education, she graduated from Auburn University, where she was a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, becoming president of her first-year pledge class, and served in the Student Government Association all four years.
- Ivey participated in a blackface skit while at Auburn, for which she later apologized
Kay Ivey Political Career
- She was appointed by then-Governor Fob James to serve in the state cabinet, in 1979.
- Later, she served as the reading clerk of the Alabama House of Representatives between 1980 and 1982 and served as Assistant Director of the Alabama Development Office between 1982 and 1985.
- She ran unsuccessfully for State Auditor as a Democrat, in 1982.
- Ivey signed a bill exempting economic development professionals from registering as lobbyists under the Alabama ethics law, in 2018.
- Ivey declared a state of emergency on March 13, during the 2020 coronavirus pandemic.
- Ivey issued a stay-at-home order on April 3 to take effect the following day.
Net Worth of Kay Ivey
- As of 2020, Ivey lists several bank and investment accounts with income of between $1,000 and $50,000.
- She also includes salary of between $50,000-$100,000; as Lt. Gov.
- She was paid $ $60,830.
- As governor, she earns $119,950.
- According to the disclosure forms, Ivey received between $10,000 -$50,000 from hunting leases and $50,000 -$150,000 from Weyerhaeuser, a Washington state timber company in 2016.
- The revenue is generated by property Ivey owns in Monroe County.
- The property is listed as having a fair market value of $250,000.
- Ivey’s past financial disclosure forms show the timber property has brought in as much as $250,000 a year.
Facts about Kay Ivey
- She’s from Wilcox County, Alabama. Governor Ivey was born in Camden, which is a little over an hour away from Montgomery.
- During her tenure as Treasurer, she saved the State an estimated $5 million.
- Ivey signed the even more restrictive House Bill 314, which intended to criminalize abortion as of November 2019 except in cases where the mother’s life is threatened or the fetus may not survive. It mandated prison sentences of up to 99 years for physicians performing such surgery, in 2019.