Suzanne Sercombe is best known as the wife of Alan Bates, the SPM at Craig-y-Don from March 1998 until November 2003. Bates had his contract as SPM terminated when he refused to comply with Post Office policy, in 2003.
The couple never imagined that they would be spending their lives battling a government agency over an IT issue when they chose to purchase a Post Office and shop in order to give themselves more time to indulge in their hobbies while still earning a steady income.
Suzanne Sercombe Husband
Suzanne Sercombe is married with Alan Bates who was a sub-postmaster from Wales who led the legal battle against the Post Office. He has now retired but is still committed to getting justice for everybody who was affected by the scandal. He rejected an offer of an OBE for services to justice, in Jan 2023.
After the scandal, Alan became an activist and his journey to justice which is still ongoing, took tens of years and cost millions of pounds.
How Old Is Suzanne Sercombe?
Suzanne Sercombe age is 65 years old, as of 2024. She was born in 1958 in England. She holds British nationality and belongs to White ethnicity. At the 2023 Pride of Britain Awards, Mr. Bates received recognition and was named the Special Recognition award winner.
Lesser Known Facts About Suzanne Sercombe
- Suzanne Sercombe’s husband, Alan Bates reported his concerns to Computer Weekly in 2004; sufficient evidence had been gathered by 2009 to publish it.
- A campaign group on the issue, Justice for Sub-postmasters Alliance (JFSA) was formed by Bates and others in September 2009.
- Concern in the media, and amongst a number of members of parliament, had grown, by 2012.
- As a result, an independent investigative firm, Second Sight, was commissioned by the Post Office to conduct a separate, independent inquiry in 2012.
- In April 2012, Paula Vennells became CEO of the Post Office.