Philip Dunton Murphy (born August 16, 1957) is a well known American financier, diplomat and Democratic Party politician who has been the 56th governor of New Jersey since January 2018. He served as the United States Ambassador to Germany from 2009 to 2013, during which time he dealt with fallout from the United States diplomatic cables leak. He served as finance chairman for the Democratic National Committee in the mid-late 2000s under Howard Dean. Before that, Murphy had a 23-year career at Goldman Sachs, where he held several high-level positions and accumulated considerable wealth before retiring in 2006. He is involved in many civic organizations and philanthropic pursuits.
Phil Murphy Age, Height & Weight
- As of 2021, Phil Murphy age is 63 years old.
- He stands on a height of 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- He weighs around 70 Kg.
- His eye color is dark brown and has blonde hair.
- He wears a shoe size of 9 UK.
Phil Murphy Quick Facts
|Real Name||Philip Dunton Murphy|
|Nick Name||Phil Murphy|
|Born||August 16, 1957|
|Age||62 years old (As of 2020)|
|Known For||56th governor of New Jersey|
|Birthplace||Needham, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Height/ Tall||In feet - 5'9"|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Parents||Father: Walter F. Murphy
Mother: Dorothy Louise
|Spouse/ Wife||Tammy Snyder (m. 1993)|
|Education||1. Harvard University (AB)
2. University of Pennsylvania (MBA)
|Net Worth||Approx $70 million USD (As of 2020)|
|Social Media Links||Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
Phil Murphy Wife
- As of 2020, Phil Murphy is married with Tammy Snyder.
- In 1987, Murphy first met his future wife, Tammy Snyder when they both worked at Goldman Sachs, but Murphy did not ask her out for another seven years.
- When he finally did, things progressed quickly and they became engaged 18 days later and were married within six months, in 1994.
- Murphy and his wife has blessed with four children, three sons and a daughter.
- They live in Monmouth County in New Jersey.
- The children have been educated at Rumson Country Day School and Phillips Academy.
- Tammy Snyder Murphy has held a variety of financial, civic, and political positions as well as having been a homemaker.
Net Worth of Phil Murphy
- As of 2020, Phil Murphy net worth is estimated around $70 million USD.
- Murphy’s position at Goldman Sachs when the firm had its IPO brought his net worth above $50 million.
- He and his family live in a riverside estate with a $200,000 annual property tax bill.
- Murphy also owns homes in Berlin and Italy.
Phil Murphy Early Life & Education
- Murphy was born on August 16, 1957 in Needham, Massachusetts, U.S.
- He was raised in both Needham and nearby Newton, and is the son of Dorothy Louise (Dunton) and Walter F. Murphy.
- According to Murphy, his family was “middle class on a good day.”
- The family was of Irish American heritage, with Phil being third generation.
- By his recollection, his mother, a secretary, and father, a high-school dropout who took any job he could (including liquor store manager and for-pay pallbearer), lived paycheck to paycheck.
- Both of his parents were enthusiastic supporters of John F. Kennedy and volunteered for his campaign in the 1952 United States Senate election in Massachusetts.
- Murphy played soccer as a boy, an interest that stayed with him in later life. His mother believed strongly in the importance of education, and Phil and his three older siblings all earned college degrees.
- As per his education, he attended Harvard University, where he was president of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals and, as he sang and danced, aspired for a time to a life in musical theater.
- But he changed direction and graduated in 1979 with an AB degree in economics.
- Wanting not to relive his upbringing’s lack of financial security, then he attended the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, receiving an MBA in 1983.
Phil Murphy on Twitter
Phil’s Twitter bio reads as, ’56th Governor of the Garden State. Building a stronger and fairer New Jersey for every family, not just the wealthy and well-connected.’ He has over 400k followers on his Twitter account.
Phil Murphy Career
- Murphy began his career with a summer associate internship at Goldman Sachs in 1982.
- He was hired after graduating in 1983.
- From 1993 to 1997 Murphy headed the firm’s Frankfurt office.
- is business responsibilities were later expanded to encompass Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, as well as in the emerging post-Warsaw Pact economies of Central Europe.
- The $55 million investment was made the year before Murphy took the Asia post and it is unclear to what extent Murphy was aware of the firm’s operational characteristics.
- After leaving Goldman Sachs, Murphy served from 2006 to 2009 as the National Finance Chair of the Democratic National Committee.
- He served as United States Ambassador to Germany under President Barack Obama from 2009 to 2013.
- In 2014 Murphy created New Start New Jersey, a nonprofit progressive policy think tank that held a number of events around New Jersey.
- In September 2015 Murphy launched a progressive organization named New Way for New Jersey.
- Murphy was sworn in as governor of New Jersey on January 16, 2018.
Phil Murphy Awards & Honors
- In 2015, Murphy received an honorary degree from Hamilton College.
- In 2019, he received an honorary degree from Rutgers University.
Facts about Phil Murphy
- Murphy faced Guadagno, the Republican nominee, in the November general election.
- In that campaign Guadagno ran as a moderate, attempting to avoid association with both Christie, who held a record-low approval rating for a governor, and Donald Trump.
- Instead she sought to focus on Murphy’s Goldman Sachs background.
- On July 26 Murphy announced Assemblywoman and Speaker Emerita Sheila Oliver as his running mate.
- His instagram bio read is, “56th Governor of New Jersey. Father of four. Building a stronger and fairer New Jersey. Visit the site below for info on COVID-19.”