Matias Reyes is a Serial Rapist and American Criminal known for Central Park Jogger Case from New York. He is popularly known for Raping and attempted murder of Trisha Meili in the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park on the night of April 19, 1989. Trisha Meili, a 28-year-old investment banker was raped and assaulted as she went for a jog in Central Park, Manhattan. She was almost beaten to death and was left in a coma for 12 days. This case is popularly known as the “Central Park Jogger Case”. Prior to this, he committed his first crime and reared a woman, in 1988 and later Reyes abused a lady in the pews of a 90th Street church. Fortunately, she managed to escape and seized him with the help of a neighbor until the police came.
Matias Reyes Now
According to the New York State Department of Corrections, Reyes is still in prison, and is eligible for parole in August 2022. In 2002, convicted murderer and serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed to raping Ms Meili. He knew facts about the attack that were never made public and only the attacker would have known, and DNA proved he was guilty. He was already serving a life sentence but was not prosecuted for the attack on Ms Meili because the statute of limitations had passed by the time he confessed. District Attorney Morgenthau recommended that the Central Park Five’s charges should be withdrawn and their convictions vacated treated as though no trial took place. All five were cleared that same year. All five were also removed from the sex offender registry.
Matias Reyes Crimes
- Previously, Reyes had been convicted of a string of rapes, brutal assaults and a murder, that all took place in the late ’80s in New York.
- Then, Reyes followed his sixth victim into her apartment and raped her, on 5 August, 1989.
- She managed to escape and run for help and her doorman held Reyes until the police arrived and arrested him.
- They realised they were dealing with a serial rapist and Reyes confessed to the crimes in detail under interrogation.
- Reyes accepted a plea bargain, and was sentenced to 33 years.
- At his 1991 sentencing, he punched his lawyer and had to be carried out by guards.
- The judge recommended Reyes be imprisoned for life.
Matias Reyes Central Park Jogger Crime
- Matias Reyes raped a woman named Trisha Meili, On April 19, 1989.
- This event took place at the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park.
- That night, five young men, four African American and one Hispanic were arrested in connection with a string of attacks in the area committed by around 30 teenagers.
- The five youths named, Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson, Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, and Korey Wise were charged and tried for assault, robbery, riot, rape, sexual abuse, and attempted murder relating to Meili’s and other attacks in the park.
- Despite there being no DNA to match them to the crime, and the five men being pressured and beaten into “confessions”, the Central Park Five, as they became to be known, were convicted in two separate trials and received sentences ranging from five to 15 years.
- It was a chance meeting with Wise, one of the men falsely imprisoned for the crime, in prison that led Reyes to confess.
- According to the New York Times, Reyes told investigators in 2002: “I know it’s hard for people to understand, after 12 years why a person would actually come forward to take responsibility for a crime. At first I was afraid, but at the end of the day I felt it was definitely the right thing to do.”
- Reyes’ DNA matched that found at the crime scene, and he was also able to tell police factors about the crime that weren’t public knowledge.
Matias Reyes When They See us
When They See Us is a documentary drama miniseries made exclusively for Netflix. The series premiered in four parts on May 31, 2019. It is based on events of the 1989 Central Park jogger case and explores the lives and families of the five male were wrongfully convicted of raping and beating a woman in Central Park and they weren’t released until 2002, when the real criminal confessed to the crime. That man was convicted murderer and rapist Matias Reyes. The series features an ensemble cast, including Jharrel Jerome, Asante Blackk, Jovan Adepo, Michael K. Williams, Logan Marshall-Green, Joshua Jackson, Blair Underwood, Vera Farmiga, John Leguizamo, Felicity Huffman, Niecy Nash, Aunjanue Ellis, Marsha Stephanie Blake, and Kylie Bunbury.
Aditionally, the series received 11 nominations; Jerome won for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie while it was nominated for Outstanding Limited Series and Ellis, Nash, Blackk, Leguizamo, Williams, Blake, and Farmiga all received acting nominations. The series also won the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Limited Series.
Matias Reyes Age
How old is he? Matias Reyes was born in 1971 and from New York and he is 49 currently. At the time of when he raped Trisha Meili in 1989, he was 31- years-old. He stands on a height of 5 feet 8 inches tall. He weighs around 62 Kg.
Matias Reyes Wiki
|49 years old
|Convicted Murderer and Serial Rapist
|1. Raping and attempted murder of Trisha Meili
2. Documentary 'When They See Us'
|New York City, New York, United States
|New York, USA
|In feet - 5 ft 8 in
|Approx 62 Kg
|Father: Not Known
Mother: Not Known
|Brother: Not Known
Sister: Not Known
|Social Media Account
|Social Account Links
Matias Reyes Confession
In an interview with 20/20 on ABC in 2002, Reyes said he had left Ms Meili for dead: “I struck her from behind, back of the head. She fell down. After she fell down, I dragged her to the bushes. I violated her – raped her. And after I’m finished she’s struggling. I beat her with a rock… I went off. I hit her a lot of times. I heard bones crushing.”
Matias Reyes Bio & Family
At a very young age, Matias moved to New York City along with his family. He holds Rican nationality. He belongs to Puerto Rico ethnicity. He was Emotionally Disturbed too. Later, Matias once also admitted that he was Sexually molested as a Child. In fact, he killed a pregnant mother of three and her children and he also assaulted more than ten women and also killed on them. Earlier, he was working as a clerk in upper Manhattan and his financial condition was not so good and he used to sleep in a Van.
Matias Reyes Mother
Reyes told a psychologist that when he was two, his mother sold him to his father for $400 and aged seven, he had been sexually abused by two older boys who threw him in a river.
Matias Reyes Net Worth
- His financial condition was also very poor and he used to sleep in a van.
- He assaulted more than ten women and also killed one of them, in the initial days of his criminal activities.
Trisha Meili Biography
After the attack, Ms Meili was in a coma for 12 days and suffered severe hypothermia, severe brain damage, hemorrhagic shock, loss of 75–80 percent of her blood, and internal bleeding. Her skull had been fractured so badly that her left eye was dislodged from its socket, which in turn was fractured in 21 places. Doctors didn’t think she would survive or she would remain in a permanent coma. She regained consciousness but was initially unable to talk, read, or walk. After six months in rehabilitation she was able to walk again and eight months after the attack she returned to work eight months. She had no memory of the attack or of any events up to an hour before the assault, nor of the six weeks following the attack. Meili was never named in the press after the attack and was simply known as the “Central Park Jogger”. In 2003 she went public with her identity, published a memoir entitled I Am the Central Park Jogger and began a career as an inspirational speaker.
Matias Reyes Facts
- He confessed to the crime in prison in 2002 after a chance meeting with one of men wrongfully convicted.
- When They See Us, a limited mini series, was praised by critics and viewers.
- The five convicted, who were then in their late 20s, sued New York City for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress, in 2003.