John Bel Edwards (born September 16, 1966) is an American politician and attorney serving as the 56th governor of Louisiana since 2016. A member of the Democratic Party, he previously served as the Democratic leader of the Louisiana House of Representatives for two terms. Edwards was elected to the Louisiana House in 2011.
Edwards was joined by Louisiana’s Chief Health Officer Dr. Joseph Kanter to discuss the concern surrounding the omicron variant. Edwards and Kanter confirmed that the variant has not yet been detected in the state, but stressed that does not necessarily mean it isn’t here.
He defeated Republican U.S. Senator David Vitter in the second round of the 2015 election for governor. Edwards won a second term in the 2019 election, becoming the first Democratic governor to win re-election in the state since 1975. He is a United States Army veteran, having served with the 82nd Airborne Division, reaching the rank of captain.
John Bel Edwards Age, Height & Weight
- As of 2021, John Bel Edwards age is 54 years old.
- He stands on a height of 5 feet 7 inches tall.
- He weighs around 70 Kg.
- His eye color is dark brown and has blonde hair.
- He wears a shoe size of 9 UK.
John Bel Edwards Quick Facts
|Real Name||John Bel Edwards|
|Born||September 16, 1966|
|Age||53 years old (As of 2020)|
|Known For||56th governor of Louisiana|
|Birthplace||East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, U.S|
|Height/ Tall||In feet - 5'7"|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Parents||Father: Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Frank M. Edwards Jr
Mother: Dora Jean
|Marital Status||Married (m. 1989)|
|Spouse/ Wife||Donna Hutto|
|Children||(3) Sarah, Samantha Edwards, and John Miller Edwards|
|Education||1. United States Military Academy (BS)
2. Louisiana State University (JD)
|Net Worth||Approx $4.8 million USD (As of 2020)|
|Unit||1. 25th Infantry Division
2. 82nd Airborne Division
|Social Media Links||Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
John Bel Edwards Wife
- John Bel Edwards is married to Donna Hutto.
- She studied at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg and graduated with a business degree in Industrial Management, before training as a teacher.
- They have two daughters, Sarah and Samantha Edwards, and one son, John Miller Edwards.
- Besides, he is a Roman Catholic and also a parishioner of the St. Helena Roman Catholic Church in Amite.
- He even won his second GTT Golf Tournament run by his West Point classmates on March 16, 2019.
John Bel Edwards Early Life & Education
- Edwards was born in September 16, 1966 at East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana.
- He was raised in Amite, Louisiana, the son of Dora Jean (née Miller) and Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Frank M. Edwards Jr., a member of the administration of Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards (no known family relation).
- As per his education, Edwards graduated from Amite High School in 1984 as valedictorian.
- In 1988, Edwards received a bachelor’s degree in engineering from the United States Military Academy, where he was on the Dean’s List and served as vice chairman of the panel that enforced the West Point honor code.
- Edwards completed Airborne School in 1986, while he was a student at West Point.
- After receiving his commission, he completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Fort Benning (1988), Ranger School (1989), and the Infantry Officer Advanced Course (1992).
- Edwards served in the Army for eight years, mostly in the 25th Infantry Division and 82nd Airborne Division, including commanding a company in the 82nd’s 3rd Brigade, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment.
- He ended his military career to return to Louisiana because of family considerations.
- Edwards earned a J.D. degree from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center in 1999, and he was a practicing attorney with the Edwards & Associates Law Firm in Amite.
- As an attorney, Edwards handled a variety of cases, though he did not practice criminal law because of his brother’s status as the local sheriff.
John Bel Edwards Career
- Edwards ran for a seat in the Louisiana House of Representatives, in 2007.
- He was forced into a general election run-off with fellow attorney George Tucker.
- He was re-elected to the Louisiana House of Representatives, having defeated opponent Johnny Duncan, 83 to 17 percent, in 2011.
- In the runoff on November 21, 2015, Edwards won the election with 56.1 percent of the vote.
- Edwards enacted Medicaid expansion, in 2016.
- He signed an executive order to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from harassment or job dismissals, in 2016.
- In 2017, Edwards promised that he could work with the incoming Donald Trump administration.
- He expressed eagerness to work with the Trump Cabinet, particularly on the issues of Medicaid expansion and federal infrastructure projects.
Net Worth of John Bel Edwards
- John Bel Edwards has quiet a great earning through his professional career as a governor and attorney.
- Edwards has managed to amass a fortune worth million dollars through his several posts and services.
- His current estimated net worth is around $4.8 million.
Facts about John Bel Edwards
- John Edwards served for almost 8 years in the Army mostly in the 25th Infantry Division and 82nd Airborne Division.
- Edwards also practiced attorney with the Edwards & Associates Law Firm in Amite.
- Edward served as a vice-chairman of West Point honor code panel.
- He even completed Airborne School while he was at West Point in 1986.
- Edward also completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Fort Benning(1988), Ranger School(1989), and the Infantry Officer Advanced Course(1992).
- He has sibling brothers, Frank Millard Edwards who is the head of police of Independence, Louisiana and Christopher Edwards who passed away in an auto accident in 2011.