John Lewis was better known as a political leader. He was an American politician and civil-rights leader who served in the United States House of Representatives for Georgia’s 5th congressional district from 1987 until his death in 2020. From 1963 to 1966, Lewis served as the chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. He was a leader of the Democratic Party in the U.S. House of Representatives as well.
John Lewis Age, Bio & Family Life
How old was John Lewis at the time of his death? John Robert Lewis was born on February 21, 1940. At the time of death, he was 80-years old. His father name was Troy, Alabama and mother named Eddie Lewis. His parents were sharecroppers in rural Pike County, Alabama.
John Lewis Height & Weight
How tall was John Lewis? He stands on a height of 5 feet 10 inches tall or else 1.78 m. He weighs around 75 Kg or 165 lbs. His body measurements was not known in public domain. In addition, he had dark brown eyes and has blonde hair.
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||75 Kg (165 lbs)|
|Death Date||July 17, 2020|
|Death Cause||Pancreatic cancer|
|Death Place||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S|
|Wife||Lillian Miles (Died 2012)|
|Education||1. American Baptist College (BA)|
2. Fisk University (BA)
|Net Worth||Approx $45 m|
John Lewis Death Cause
What was the cause of John Lewis death? On July 17, 2020, Lewis died at the age of 80 after a six-month battle with the disease in Atlanta. President Donald Trump ordered all flags to be flown at half-staff in response to Lewis’s death.
John Lewis Wife & Children
He was a married man. Lewis met Lillian Miles at a New Year’s Eve party hosted by Xernona Clayton. In 1968, they married. Couple also had one son together, named John-Miles Lewis. Lillian died on December 31, 2012.
John Lewis Net Worth & Career
What was the net worth of John Lewis? His net worth was estimated around $45 million. Political career was his primary source of income.
15 Facts on John Lewis
- Lewis was the only living speaker from the March on Washington present on the stage during the inauguration of Barack Obama.
- Lewis was portrayed by Stephan James in the 2014 film Selma.
- He often attended Comic Con in San Diego, California, in support of his graphic novels.
- Lewis was awarded more than 50 honorary degrees.
- Lewis’s death in July 2020 has given rise to support for renaming the historically significant Pettus bridge in Lewis’s honor, an idea previously floated years ago.
- After his death, the Board of Fairfax County Public Schools announced that Robert E. Lee High School in Springfield, Virginia would be renamed John R. Lewis High School.
- Lewis was awarded the Walter P. Reuther Humanitarian Award by Wayne State University, in 2020.
- Lewis endorsed Joe Biden for president on April 7, 2020.
- Lewis represented Georgia’s 5th congressional district, one of the most consistently Democratic districts in the nation.
- Lewis aspired to be a preacher at age five.
- He was preaching to his family’s chickens on the farm.
- Lewis first heard Martin Luther King Jr. on the radio, in 1955.
- At age 15, Lewis preached his first public sermon.
- Lewis graduated from the American Baptist Theological Seminary in Nashville, Tennessee and was ordained as a Baptist minister.
- He was a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.